£90 excess currency from every trip. Read more from WeSwap..
As Brits head home from half-term foreign breaks, figures show they are burning money by the £billion.
Unspent Dollars, Euros and Yuans go to waste every year as we have become a nation of currency hoarders, says travel money firm WeSwap, who reckon more than £819 million foreign currency is nestled in coin-jars and piggy banks nationwide.
The company’s survey of 2,000 UK adults to reveal that an average of £90 excess currency is brought from each trip. WeSwap report –
- 60% of travellers – 27.1 million – over-budget on for spending money on holiday
- £2.5billion in foreign currency comes home unused
- 65% – 29 million – are currently hoarding excess currency from previous trips abroad
- 31% – 9.6 million – store excess currency in piggy-banks, coin jars and boxes under the bed
- £819m is in piggy-banks, jars and boxes under the bed right now.